Saturday, February 10, 2007

Proud of being an African-American...

This is the "month" that African-Americans, get exposure of the many contributions to our society. I have mixed emotions on "Black History Month" due to the fact that there really shouldn't be, a Black History Month. Blacks have contributed to society in every phase and in every action of the building of all societies...especially in America. So, their (our) history so be included equally and highly exposed. Due to the prejudice, discrimminations and brainwashing, we are giving a "pat" or blog in history to show that those that kept it out, are showing that they are caring, heartfelt and understanding. But still not fully acknowledge the contributions. Every time we use an iron or stop at a stop light, that is a contribution that Blacks made. Even the famous Duke University basketball arena (Cameron Indoor Stadium and Duke Chapel) was designed by an African-American. African-Americans are a powerful people, same as those that believe that their race and culture is such like Italians, Polish, German, Dutch, Jewish, etc.

Our contributions have been many and powerful for many of the luxuries that we use today. Our backs have build this country up from the dust to the Heavens...and for that, I am truly proud. But I believe still that we ALL are God's children, black, white, yellow and red. But no one will ever say or tell me, that I am inferior or "less than a man" as our forefathers experienced. I am proud, strong and resilent and I will continue to be so, till my death bed. So raise the flag high, if that is the case for this month and shout loud of the contributions of those that struggled and sacrificed for all of us today. I thank you Charles Drew. I thank you Martin Luther King, Jr. I thank you Harriet Tubman. I thank you Geore Washington Carver. I thank you Jackie Robinson. I thank you Joe Louis....and I thank you Jesus of Nazareth, my Lord and savior. And truly...I thank you God Allmighty.

Enjoy February everyone no matter what race, creed or color. There is enough to digest, learn and enjoy, of African-American contributions and this month, many of those contributions, will be highligthed.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot but agree with you on this issue. There is still segregation going on, otherwise we would not have a Black History month, the destinction of race on every Government form to fill out, every school enrollment and whatever official paperwork you want to pick. I have NEVER been in any other country (and I've traveled the world quite a bit) that inquires about your ethnic background, but the United States. What difference does it make in the first place what color your skin is? Does that mean that your soul is the same color then your skin? What about this new generation that has so many multiple ethnic backgrounds that you cannot put them in a certain mold anymore? Why do I have make up my mind if my kids are black (how do I know they are African-American, black American from some Island, or wherever their ancesters came from) or caucasian (German, French and whatever else was mixed in my history)? Why do we all have to fit into a frame? Time to re-think history in general... not only Black History!