Monday, February 5, 2007

Honored In Israel

I was voted the best foreign player in Maccabe-Rishon basket history. Maccabe-Rishon is a basketball organization in the Israeli Basketball Federation and I was a participant in the league during the years 1990-to 1994. Rishon Lezion is a city outside of Tel Aviv, just 10-15 kilometers. The team had a magical year during the 1990-91 and 1991-1992 campaign where we challenged for the championship against Israeli Basketball league giant Maccabe-Tel Aviv. I traveled to Israel this past month and was honored as well as reunited with several members of the team of Maccabe-Rishon. The former president (Iassc Peri) was responsible and through the the kindness of his heart, made the trip possible and made it so that he members of the Maccabe-Rishon players, family and staff were together for a ceremonial dinner hosted by him and his wife. it has been 15 years since I had been back to Israel and this honor came at a time that was so spirit-filled. Being back in Israel seeing my friends there was one of the most memorable moments in my life, and I thank Mr. Peri for making this so. The writers, players and fans, I wish to truly thank them from the bottom of my heart. The weather was great and the fans at the game where at halftime the honor was bestowed, were fantastic. I was like a rock star for several days and humbly accept those accolades with God's blessings...truly...it was His will and way that all this became possible. I also connected with several members of the Israeli Basketball federation in forming a connection and bond to support the American Hebrew Academy here in Greensboro, North Carolina. This academy is a new institution in the United States and will be a link to Israeli and American students to form bonds and relationships as well as have students from Israel come to the States to study.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lavone I really enjoyed reading your blog. You have been a very busy man in your lifetime. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll continue to be blessed in all that you set out to do....you're the best....much love...Bonnie